« Home | When I Was Young » | I am kind of hungry » | Ego-licious survey Crap » | Proof....For all you who doubted it. » | Cursing » | Prospects for greatness » | It's About Time!! » | Justice is Not Just Blind Anymore! » | My Blogs Suck » | Online quzzes are for narcissistic jerks » 

Friday, March 10, 2006 

The Time to Wait has Arrived!!!

Yes, that's right. I have done it again. I have concocted for your drinking pleasure, yet another batch of fine ale. It now resides in my basement, in the bottles, aging. It will be another few weeks before it is even close to being ready to drink. If I was a truly patient person, I would let it age for a month before cracking the first bottle, but we'll see how that goes.

The details:

I used a reddish crushed crystal malt for a nice grainy flavor, along with an amber malt extract for that glorious rich flavor of the red ale. As for dried malt, I used a pale ale barley malt, and it should lend itself to a crisp, clean finish.

As for hops, well, I cut back back on the bittering hops a little. I restrained myself. I didn't use quite as much. Instead, in its place, I added to the brew just at the start of the bittering process, a few cups of chopped rhubarb. Oh, now you're interested, aren't you? Yes, rhubarb. I used all the requisite finishing hops, near the end of the boil, but the star of the show, is the rhubarb that I used to bitter it.

I don't know how it's going to turn out, but it's out of my hands at this point. I took some readings with my hydrometer, and the finishing alchohol content will be around 5-6 percent, which is acceptible for a darker reddish ale.

Yes, my friends, the time to get seriously down to the waiting, has arrived.

mmm...beer.

waiting until september for the REAL mead is going to be a pain.

stupid alcohol and the amount of time it takes to ripen.

What's the total time investment for making real mead?

6-9 months. that's for the most basic recipe.

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.