« Home | Blogging Blogs #2 » | Blogging Blogs #1 » | The most important holiday on the internet » | Here's the Deal » | Reading Other People's Blogs Leads To Paranoia » | Sammy The Rat » | The Antichrist? We Should Be So Lucky! » | The Kicker » 

Thursday, January 26, 2006 

Blogging Blogs #3

I'll be honest with you. I don't like sentimental blogs, or sentimental anything for that matter. This blog was no different. It's actual subject matter does not interest me at all. However, it is an excellent, and surprisingly well-written example of what I call a "blogging notebook," to combine two of Blood's categories.

Of course, there's a very distinct and noticeable leaning towards the whole 'notebook' concept. Posts are focused and reflective. They are will-written and tightly constructed. It's not inane rambling like so many blogs out there, and in that respect it scores points with me. It may be sentimental and sweet, but reflective, which also gets points from me. Debbi does not flinch or muck about the issue. She's honest about her situations with both herself and whoever may or may not read her blog (which, judging from lack of comments, of course, is not very many, not surprisingly; but that's not the point, now is it?).

Plain and simple, this is an online diary. It's purpose is a creative outlet, and a place to put thoughts. It doesn't matter who reads it, and she doesn't need to feel embarassed about any deep private thoughts, since I don't have any emotional attatchments to her issues, only an intellectual curiosity. Some of my readers may yet become attached in some way, but still won't be intimate in the same way as her family. So, it's sort of like counseling. You talk to a psychologist, who, no matter what crazy shit comes out of your mouth, is not allowed to react emotionally. He or she is a sounding board and sage advice-giver (not that I've ever been in counseling, seeing as how I am The Good Doctor). If she finds herself in some sort of online community of readers, they will still manage to be unbaised and trustworthy because they need not worry about hurting anyone's feelings.

This is an interesting concept and probably one that I may or may not explore further throughout the semester. What do you think, dear reader?

I suddenly feel like a frog that has been dissected gingerly upon a metal tray, splayed open and inspected in a way I had not anticipated. Ironically, I find your reflective and analytical interpretation of my blog rather complimentary. I understand that my family antics and personal opinions are of little interest to anyone outside my family, and frankly it is only for them that I have embarked into blogdom from the start. However, your appreciative comments regarding my writing style are accepted with much gratitude, for my secret desire it to write.

Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.